Wednesday, February 19, 2014

World Read Aloud Day Blogging Challenge #2

During the month leading up to World Read Aloud Day, I'm participating in the World Read Aloud Day blogging challenge. Each week, blogging participants respond to a question addressing the World Read Aloud theme "Raising Our Voice." The prompt for week 2 is "Answer the following questions with a child. The child can be a student or your own. Age does not matter. Make sure to exchange and enjoy answers with one another before sharing them with us." I asked my own son, Caleb (age 8) to participate with me.

1. I think everyone in the world should read…
Me: The Junkyard Wonders by Patricia Polacco. This book is on the Georgia Children's Book Award list this year. It is such an inspiring story that teachers and kids equally love.
Caleb: The Harry Potter series. They are exciting books.

2. If I could listen to anyone in the world read aloud to me it would be…
Me: Carmen Agra Deedy. Carmen is a gifted storyteller. We have hosted Carmen at my school for the past two years. I love hearing her beautiful voice read her stories. After she left last year, one of my students said, "I wish Carmen could come to our school every day!"
Child: My mommy! Because your voice is nice.

3. When I read aloud, my favorite character to impersonate is…
Me: I love to read aloud The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo. Each of the characters is so well-developed and unique that I can draw inspiration from the story and create a voice for each character when reading it aloud.
Child: The Lunch Lady! (in the Lunch Lady series by Jarrett J. Krosoczka)

4. The genre or author that takes up the most room on my bookshelf (or e-reader) is…
Me: mystery and historical fiction for both kids and adults.
Child: Nonfiction. I like nonfiction because I learn from it. My favorite nonfiction books are books about animals.

5. My favorite part about reading aloud or being read to is...
Me: Encouraging a young person to read. When I read aloud to students, I often expose them to books they might not otherwise have known about.
Child: The good stories.

 This is me and my son, Caleb, on the 50th day of school.

No comments:

Post a Comment